Ged Duffy (Stockholm Monsters / Lovolta Lokota) on early Smiths gigs

A few weeks ago I quoted from Ged Duffy's book "Factory Fairy Tales" on when Ged bumped into Morrissey pre Smiths.
Having finished the book, Ged also describes being at two early Smiths gigs when working as an in-house roadie and also as support band in his new band Lovolta Lakota.

Richard Hell and The Smiths at Rafters (21st February 1983, The Smiths 4th gig)

"After both bands had done their soundtrack, Alan (Wise) asked me and Slim to carry down about 30 chairs from Fagins (the club above Rafters) and set them all up in front of the stage.
When the audience came in we had to keep them away from the chairs. Just before The Smiths came on the seats were occupied by family members of the band. Parents and grandparents were all there. Once The Smiths were on, me and Slim had to stand behind the chairs to make sure no one banged into the people sitting there.
It was strange as comments were being passed from the families to the stage and back from the stage to the families.
"Oh Steven, that was wonderful" or "Oh John I never knew you could play like that", that kind of thing. It was like a private concert for the family. Very f***ing strange. I must say, despite all that The Smiths sounded very good and when they had finished we had to get the chairs back upstairs into Fagins."

The Hacienda 6th July 1983 (the 2nd of The Smiths three gigs at the Hacienda that year)

"We supported The Smiths at the Hac. We had done several gigs with Death Cult (featuring Billy Duffy, a good friend of Ged but no relation) and Play Dead in small venues. This was the first large venue we played. We had a right laugh with Mike Joyce and Johnny Marr, but Morrissey was up his own arse.

Morrissey used to wear flowers sticking out of the arse pocket of his jeans and would throw some out into the crowd. The box of flowers was sat at the side of the stage, so Glen cut all the heads off them. There were no flowers visible when they went on. During our set, Glen got some Tampax, dipped it in red wine and threw them into the crowd. I announced "we can't afford flowers like The Smiths, so please accept these gifts" The audience moved back as quickly as they could. I thought it was funny but I guess we were too rock n roll for the serious indie crowd.

Loads of our mates, including Mani (future Stone Roses) was there and we got a good reception from them. Tony France had a heated argument with Morrissey at the bar before we went on. I think a few home truths about his image and The Smiths record sleeve designs were discussed between the two."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The first account of the "family-concert" is pretty funny and actually very sweet...haven't we all been there at some point in our life? I mean they were pretty young and just starting out, of course the family would want to watch them and pass unasked comments, probably followed by a big grandma-smooch on the cheek ^^

Thanks for sharing!

It wasn’t all that strange back then to have seats and tables at the front in Rafters. One of the best nights out of my life was sat around one of those tables until the wee small hours. It was a comedy set though. Top of the bill, the late legend, Frank Sidebottom.

A few weeks ago I quoted from Ged Duffy's book "Factory Fairy Tales" on when Ged bumped into Morrissey pre Smiths.
Having finished the book, Ged also describes being at two early Smiths gigs when working as an in-house roadie and also as support band in his new band Lovolta Lakota.

"After both bands had done their soundtrack, Alan (Wise) asked me and Slim to carry down about 30 chairs from Fagins (the club above Rafters) and set them all up in front of the stage.
When the audience came in we had to keep them away from the chairs. Just before The Smiths came on the seats were occupied by family members of the band. Parents and grandparents were all there. Once The Smiths were on, me and Slim had to stand behind the chairs to make sure no one banged into the people sitting there.
It was strange as comments were being passed from the families to the stage and back from the stage to the families.
"Oh Steven, that was wonderful" or "Oh John I never knew you could play like that", that kind of thing. It was like a private concert for the family. Very f***ing strange. I must say, despite all that The Smiths sounded very good and when they had finished we had to get the chairs back upstairs into Fagins."

The Hacienda 6th July 1983 (the 2nd of The Smiths three gigs at the Hacienda that year)

"We supported The Smiths at the Hac. We had done several gigs with Death Cult (featuring Billy Duffy, a good friend of Ged but no relation) and Play Dead in small venues. This was the first large venue we played. We had a right laugh with Mike Joyce and Johnny Marr, but Morrissey was up his own arse.

Morrissey used to wear flowers sticking out of the arse pocket of his jeans and would throw some out into the crowd. The box of flowers was sat at the side of the stage, so Glen cut all the heads off them. There were no flowers visible when they went on. During our set, Glen got some Tampax, dipped it in red wine and threw them into the crowd. I announced "we can't afford flowers like The Smiths, so please accept these gifts" The audience moved back as quickly as they could. I thought it was funny but I guess we were too rock n roll for the serious indie crowd.

Loads of our mates, including Mani (future Stone Roses) was there and we got a good reception from them. Tony France had a heated argument with Morrissey at the bar before we went on. I think a few home truths about his image and The Smiths record sleeve designs were discussed between the two."

What were the "home truths" and who exactly is Tony France in relation to me getting out of bed?

Nearly bought this from Salford Lads Club a few days ago. Maybe I'll have to. Hmm.

It's worth a read?

Nearly bought this from Salford Lads Club a few days ago. Maybe I'll have to. Hmm.

It's worth a read?
I enjoyed it.
His memory about the gigs he saw either as a fan or worked backstage is amazing, recalling up and coming bands many of whom went on to become huge. As bands returned to the venues he was working, he struck up friendships with the bands particularly The Damned, Bunnymen, Bauhaus etc.
The early part of the book details not only the gigs but the violence inside the venue and also outside with the Perry Boys who were always waiting to pick off punks making their way home post gig.....
Ged is open in admitting he always chose the wrong option at the time (he turned down the opportunity to join Ian Asbury / Billy Duffy in Death Cult as one example).

It isn't a book about Factory Records but is a very good account of Factory and its inner circle from someone very close to what was going on.
Definitely worth purchasing.

Related item:
Throwing tampax dipped in red wine isn't 'rock n'roll', it's just childish and silly. I'd have backed away too. They were trying to make twats out of the crowd.

Throwing tampax dipped in red wine isn't 'rock n'roll', it's just childish and silly. I'd have backed away too. They were trying to make twats out of the crowd.
where did they get the tampax from,bunch of pussies.
the thing with anyone recalling stories from the past for a book is that everyone will embelish the actual truth to make themselves either look more interesting or being the winner in a situation.

Less time than it took for you to write your reply.

Was the Rafters gig filmed?

Unlikely, since not many people had VHS/Betamax players at that time let alone cameras. Most early live footage would be from TV shows or a few places like The Hacienda. There isn't much early video of groups like Frankie Goes To Hollywood either.

Unlikely, since not many people had VHS/Betamax players at that time let alone cameras. Most early live footage would be from TV shows or a few places like The Hacienda. There isn't much early video of groups like Frankie Goes To Hollywood either.

That's a shame. That would be pretty historic, if all the Morrissey (Dwyer?) and Maher clans were preserved on film in the front rows of an early Smiths gig.

Every gig at the Hacienda was filmed in the early days. There must be some tremendous footage out there from bands before they hit the big time

Related item:

41 years ago today
Screenshot_20240221-160553_Gallery.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom