Morrissey at the Rolling Stones concert in Los Angeles (May 3, 2013) - photos posted at Zimbio

Re: Singer Morrissey arrives the 'Rolling Stone' concert at The Staples Center in Los

1. I've never worked in an office, and I am uncertain of what that was meant to imply. 2. Who the f*** is David Brent? 3. The response was concerning other comments about Morrissey's statement after the Norway massacre, so it was on topic for that part of the thread 4. Scaffolding is a term used by educators and psychologists to describe how people learn from others who are more skilled in a particular area. 5. Scaffolds also hang from the sides of very tall buildings; why don't you find one and jump from it.

What a load of bollocks !
Google "the office/ David Brent" and keep me in "The loop" its you and your office shite speak alright !

"Scaffold my arse ! " Jim Royal (Google that as well).

P A Thetic

Re: Singer Morrissey arrives the 'Rolling Stone' concert at The Staples Center in Los

1. I've never worked in an office, and I am uncertain of what that was meant to imply. 2. Who the f*** is David Brent? 3. The response was concerning other comments about Morrissey's statement after the Norway massacre, so it was on topic for that part of the thread 4. Scaffolding is a term used by educators and psychologists to describe how people learn from others who are more skilled in a particular area. 5. Scaffolds also hang from the sides of very tall buildings; why don't you find one and jump from it.

You are a classic P I B C A K !

we'll let you know

Morrissey is a hyper-empath and that is reflected in his music, not his life. As he has said himself many times, everything you need to know is in the music. The same goes for painters, poets, writers and any artist whose best self is in their work. Morrissey is a man with a near-miraculous gift for opening his audience's hearts, and revealing the best part of his own. Name any historic, successful artist who has challenged, moved and changed people (and that's the kind of empathy we're discussing here); you'll reveal someone who fought with their editors, or neglected their spouse, or abandoned their children, or drank too much and alienated all their friends: someone who didn't pay their bills or who failed to make good on their debts, someone who abused drugs and destroyed themselves. History is filled with remarkably accomplished men and women who inspired strangers but disappointed, alienated and deeply hurt loved ones and acquaintances with their personal pettiness, insecurity and self-destructive tendencies.

To say he's written "some fine songs" is a tremendous understatement: everyone who has followed his career knows that he has changed lives with the power of his words, his voice, and (at the beginning at least) his ability to stand for something elusive, intriguing and authentic. Morrissey was able to project himself into other lives, and elicit a universal kind of understanding. The man was a walking, talking font of vulnerability.

What happened in the interim was a remarkably disorienting life: a life of being worshipped slavishly, of shuttling between far-flung destinations, of making himself a target and fighting endlessly with the press. This life (which he consciously chose) is lonely, alienating, and spiritually and emotionally eviscerating. The pressures are unimaginable to anyone on the outside. The responsibilities of living up to the expectations of fans, of being a godlike, sensitive, glaringly handsome receptacle of hopes and dreams is a kind of nightmare, particularly for an introvert who is called upon to fulfill the endless needs of strangers to whom he cannot relate.

I'm not excusing his later remarks about Norway or his clumsy, ill-considered political rants: they are tone-deaf at best, and pathological at worst. Nor is it an excuse for dismissing his artistic collaborators as "lawnmower parts." But Morrissey isn't a piece of garbage that fans can feed off of and then discard like an empty carton once they've had their fill: he's a human being who has given his fans the best part of himself, who has created moments of great beauty and who continues to sing with a grace and honesty that is (apparently) somewhat lacking in his off-stage life.

Perhaps he's alienated almost everyone whose ever loved him, who ever worked with him, who ever got near enough to try to understand him. Hopefully his few close friends and his family see the everyday good in him. It's his audience who've had the best that he had to offer.

I wish that Morrissey was a likable, down-to-Earth, generous guy who generated personal goodwill. I wish he was the kind of fellow who made good decisions, gave credit where credit was due and was humble and open. I wish he still dazzled in interviews and found the right words when tragedy strikes. Apparently (unless you catch him at just the right moment) he's a prickly, bizarre, truly eccentric self-made island of defensive posturing. It's dispiriting to be sure, but it's the unfortunate downside of his singular edge, and for me it doesn't negate his accomplishments.

This is so beautifully stated. People perceive Morrissey as being insensitive, nasty, or sociopathic because he doesn't appear to show a proper level of empathy, but I think that you are correct in suggesting that his behavior results from a combination of extreme social anxiety and defensiveness. It's obvious that he struggles with interspersonal communication; just look at his body language during an interview. It must be a great personal conflict for him, wanting his words to be heard, but having to endure such brutal public scrutiny in the process. Yes, he lives a privileged life, but that also comes with some detrimental consequences. He travels around the world, but he currently has no real place that he calls home. He grew up desperately wanting acceptance and love; well now he's got legions of adoring fans, but that is not any type of substantial relationship. Additionally, he has to wonder whether the people closest to him now truly appreciate the man, or do they just enjoy being in the inner circle of a celebrity named Morrissey. Add to that the brutal attacks from journalists, other musical artists, and so-called fans, and it is no wonder he's become jaded and defensive. If you kick a dog too many times, it will turn and bite you. I think that Morrissey's transition from the delicate, vulnerable young poet that we first met to the rigid, sometimes seemingly arrogant or disconnected man that he is today was the only way that he could survive. My heart breaks for him. Thank you for posting such a heart-felt response in defense of our boy.

lynnda

What a load of bollocks !
Google "the office/ David Brent" and keep me in "The loop" its you and your office shite speak alright !

"Scaffold my arse ! " Jim Royal (Google that as well).

P A Thetic

Seriously, how much work do you expect me to do? It's a post on morrissey-solo, not some obscure allusion in a James Joyce novel that I must understand before I continue reading. You'll have to try harder if you want to peak my interest. Besides, my google is permanently set to "Morrissey".

You are a classic P I B C A K !

we'll let you know

Sorry, not going to google this either. Did you have a traumatic scaffold experience as a child, because this word seems to have your panties in quite a knot.

No empathy shown for Norwegian teenagers.

What about our empathy for chickens in the meat industry?

It was inconsiderate of Morrissey to point this out 24 hours after the Norwegian tragedy. But when we think _rationally_, what he said makes perfect sense.

Let me explain: 617 000 chickens were killed by the meat industry while I was writing this comment. True story, unfortunately. Check this out: http://www.adaptt.org/killcounter.html

The reason why Morrissey said what he said is quite simple: when you know what the meat industry is doing every second every day, the fact that the world cries its eyes out over the death of 70 teenagers starts to seem unbearably absurd.

But, it is true that you shouldn't always think rationally. It kind of makes you look like a twat.

This is so beautifully stated. People perceive Morrissey as being insensitive, nasty, or sociopathic because he doesn't appear to show a proper level of empathy, but I think that you are correct in suggesting that his behavior results from a combination of extreme social anxiety and defensiveness. It's obvious that he struggles with interspersonal communication; just look at his body language during an interview. It must be a great personal conflict for him, wanting his words to be heard, but having to endure such brutal public scrutiny in the process. Yes, he lives a privileged life, but that also comes with some detrimental consequences. He travels around the world, but he currently has no real place that he calls home. He grew up desperately wanting acceptance and love; well now he's got legions of adoring fans, but that is not any type of substantial relationship. Additionally, he has to wonder whether the people closest to him now truly appreciate the man, or do they just enjoy being in the inner circle of a celebrity named Morrissey. Add to that the brutal attacks from journalists, other musical artists, and so-called fans, and it is no wonder he's become jaded and defensive. If you kick a dog too many times, it will turn and bite you. I think that Morrissey's transition from the delicate, vulnerable young poet that we first met to the rigid, sometimes seemingly arrogant or disconnected man that he is today was the only way that he could survive. My heart breaks for him. Thank you for posting such a heart-felt response in defense of our boy.

lynnda

"He travels around the world, but he currently has no real place that he calls home." Ah this old chestnut again ! Oh my bleeding heart, poor old Morrissey forced to live out of a suitcase ! Well Linda just think about all the money he can AVOID handing over to the UK Inland Revenue and all sympathy is thrown off the scaffolding !

we'll let you know

It was inconsiderate of Morrissey to point this out 24 hours after the Norwegian tragedy. But when we think _rationally_, what he said makes perfect sense.

Let me explain: 617 000 chickens were killed by the meat industry while I was writing this comment. True story, unfortunately. Check this out: http://www.adaptt.org/killcounter.html

The reason why Morrissey said what he said is quite simple: when you know what the meat industry is doing every second every day, the fact that the world cries its eyes out over the death of 70 teenagers starts to seem unbearably absurd.

But, it is true that you shouldn't always think rationally. It kind of makes you look like a twat.

" 617 000 chickens were killed by the meat industry while I was writing this comment." Good I like chicken whats the problem ? The chickens will have been bread and raised with the intention of being put in my mouth its not as though they were running around in freedom and suddenly BOOM is it ?

Benny the butcher

He has Jesse Tobias in his band.

Absolute proof that he suffers at least some kind of mental disorder.

" 617 000 chickens were killed by the meat industry while I was writing this comment." Good I like chicken whats the problem ? The chickens will have been bread and raised with the intention of being put in my mouth its not as though they were running around in freedom and suddenly BOOM is it ?

Benny the butcher

Well, I think that the problem is the conditions the birds live in, the way they are treated, and the way they are killed. The problem really isn't the death but everything that happens prior to it.

He has Jesse Tobias in his band.

Absolute proof that he suffers at least some kind of mental disorder.
Indeed, all though i think he has him in the band for eye candy. He seems aware of other bands/singers that are bad he can't be that naive of his own surely.

Indeed, all though i think he has him in the band for eye candy. He seems aware of other bands/singers that are bad he can't be that naive of his own surely.

I think he has J. Tobias in his band to patronize his Mexican fans. I feel it's his only reason. It's certainly not because of Jesse's ability and talent (which are hugely lacking).

617,000? Wow. That's a lot. What are you doing about it though, Joel? Is it "nothing"?

Mind you, PETAs animal killing spree continues unabated, but I suppose that's different.

"He travels around the world, but he currently has no real place that he calls home." Ah this old chestnut again ! Oh my bleeding heart, poor old Morrissey forced to live out of a suitcase ! Well Linda just think about all the money he can AVOID handing over to the UK Inland Revenue and all sympathy is thrown off the scaffolding !

we'll let you know

Everyone who is smart enough, or who has a proper accountant, does everything possible to minimize the taxes that must be paid; who doesn't want to hold on to as much of his/her hard earned money as possible; so what's your point? Do you want to pay more taxes than necessary? Why attack Morrissey for doing what other rock stars have been doing for decades? My reference to his constant moving was how lonely it must be; yet, you turn it into an assault on his character. If you despise him so, why don't you move on? Additionally, if you want to address me personally, please spell my name correctly; it's just common courtesy.

I think he has J. Tobias in his band to patronize his Mexican fans. I feel it's his only reason. It's certainly not because of Jesse's ability and talent (which are hugely lacking).
That has definately crossed my mind as a reason.

Mainpage gettin' it's creche on. :rolleyes: The poop has to go somewhere, might as well OBVIOUSLY be shit rather than thinly veiled shit which is hard to detect.

Mainpage gettin' it's creche on. :rolleyes: The poop has to go somewhere, might as well OBVIOUSLY be shit rather than thinly veiled shit which is hard to detect.

Oh give us a break with the sanctimonious bullshit, Geezer. We ALL know Jesse sucks. Stop trying to cover for him and Morrissey.

Same old "ivory tower" garbage from delusional "fans" have their noses so far up Moz's ass, they can't think straight.

Oh give us a break with the sanctimonious bullshit, Geezer. We ALL know Jesse sucks. Stop trying to cover for him and Morrissey.

Same old "ivory tower" garbage from delusional "fans" have their noses so far up Moz's ass, they can't think straight.

We're all entitled to our opinions. I've never walked away from a Morrissey show not thinking, "Wow, they rocked the f*** out of tonight." Jesse is to thank for that. I know you want to live in the tinkly Marr 80s of Smiths studio recordings when you used to pop zits in the mirror and whack off to Molly Ringwald, but the times are changing. Jesse's sound is now.

I think Jesse Tobias is gifted at the punk rock styles of bands like New York Dolls and the Clash, but a lot of people here just don't get it. You want to hear the Never-Laid Whimperings while you wait for your mom to bring you your juice and your crayons.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom