The Smiths added to Trump rally music (January 23, 2024)

Not sure if this is a joke: tweet says Trump added Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want to his pre-rally music in Laconia, New Hampshire.

UPDATE 12:34PM PT:

Surface posted the link:

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
To reiterate, this is not a big deal, it had been going on for 6 months before anyone even brought it to Johnny's attention. Calm down.

Good grief. And worth noting that a chunk of the evidence used in that article is based on an Anon post on this website from December 2019.

Possible reasons why he hasn't said anything:

* He simply doesn't care
* Despite hating Trump, he quite possibly hates him less than Biden
* He's still secretly in love with Johnny and is doing everything he can to ensure that the Smiths legacy is seen as Johnny's, and not his
* He's jet-lagged
* He's hungover
* He's drunk
* He's hoping it will lead to an increase in royalties, from a new Trump-loving audience
* He's a contrary bastard and he viscerally hates doing what's expected of him

Any others?
My first thought was that Morrissey uses other people's music in his pre-show videos and that some of them (or their heirs/estates) might not approve of him doing so. To me it would seem hypocritical to object to anyone using his own music unless he'd got approval from those others beforehand. I know a concert is different from a political rally, but some of Morrissey's songs and stage banter might be politically objectionable to some of the artists he admires.

From shoplifterromo:

Stephen Colbert mentions Trump playing The Smiths at his rallies during his Late Show opening monologue Thursday on CBS

Scroll to 5:32-7:01 to watch Colbert discuss Trump “treating his folks to an unlikely warmup act” before playing a snippet of “Please, please, please, let me get what I want” at a rally and then ending with Johnny Marr’s response.

From shoplifterromo:

Stephen Colbert mentions Trump playing The Smiths at his rallies during his Late Show opening monologue Thursday on CBS

Scroll to 5:32-7:01 to watch Colbert discuss Trump “treating his folks to an unlikely warmup act” before playing a snippet of “Please, please, please, let me get what I want” at a rally and then ending with Johnny Marr’s response.

"The full title of the song is Please, Please Please Let Me Get What I Want...which for most Trump supporters is custody of their kids" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My first thought was that Morrissey uses other people's music in his pre-show videos and that some of them (or their heirs/estates) might not approve of him doing so. To me it would seem hypocritical to object to anyone using his own music unless he'd got approval from those others beforehand. I know a concert is different from a political rally, but some of Morrissey's songs and stage banter might be politically objectionable to some of the artists he admires.

Yes, and if any of them object, they can complain. And if possible try to remove their piece of music, etc.

On his current affairs programme on RTE Radio 1 today, Brendan O' Connor interviewed personable comedian Anne Gildea, and asked her to pick 5 songs to signpost her potted and colourful life story.

Her second choice was Please Please Please..., which sparked an animated conversation about the latest controversy over the song being used by Trump, and a question about Morrissey's would-be opinion and unusual silence.

Both of them stumbled trying to recall why they weren't supposed to talk well about him now, and rather than badmouth him, they made fond remarks and shared affectionate memories of his Vicar Street show. :sweet:

Just past the 1 hour mark, the segment lasts about 10 minutes

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/bre...945-brendan-oconnor-saturday-27-january-2024/

I think Morrissey's silence on this speaks volumes. This is a guy who could issue a statement regarding speculation as to him holding a vape in a couple of days, but stays silent on this. I can only presume that he either doesn't care, or he genuinely thinks Trump is the better option in the next election.

Face facts - if this bothered him in the slightest, he'd already have made his feelings known.

I think Morrissey's silence on this speaks volumes. This is a guy who could issue a statement regarding speculation as to him holding a vape in a couple of days, but stays silent on this. I can only presume that he either doesn't care, or he genuinely thinks Trump is the better option in the next election.

Face facts - if this bothered him in the slightest, he'd already have made his feelings known.
So there's hope yet he sees the light and supports Trump.

There are still ongoing news stories & podcasts mentioning this incident, with speculation that it was Morrissey who gave them permission, which I highly doubt. I wish he would say something, has he changed his mind about trump? It's frustrating how he complains about being erased from the Smiths and when they are making international news, he says nothing.

I live in the US. Just a note - I only get my news from face-to-face reality, interacting with the public - never from big news outlets. To be brief, T's term in-office may have been good for fuel prices, but frustratingly caused hatred and strong dislike/distrust among huge groups of Americans (it seemed intentional to boot) - which we are still dealing with today. I also rarely, if ever, speak about US politics. Honestly, I'm tired of all the crime. American citizens for this upcoming presidential election have an impossible choice, for certain if they vote mainstream.

Americans, PLEASE VOTE THIRD PARTY. It's never been the time for that more than now.

I appreciate your opinion here, all the same.

I think the best way to “contain” Trump is to let him get reelected. This way, he will be reduced to “lame duck” status because of the two term limit, and then you will never have to worry about him being president again.

The more the Democrats and PMC try to pile on Trump and amp up the Trump-Derangement Syndrome, the more popular they make Trump as it only makes him look like more of a martyr in the eyes of his supporters and the public at large. Even his mugshots have given him free publicity.

Plus, the elephant in the room is that many of Trump’s policies do not differ that significantly from Biden’s such as immigration, the border wall, Medicare privatization, etc. and perhaps he might have enough foresight to get us off of the nuclear war escalation ramp with Russia over Ukraine.

Do not get me wrong, Trump is indeed a crook, but he is no better or worse of one than anybody else in the DC bubble. If we could survive two terms of George W. Bush which I still contend was the worst president we have ever had, we can sustain another Trump term. I am voting third party instead of Trump or Biden, but I think that a second Trump term would actually be slightly less bad than that of Biden.

I think the best way to “contain” Trump is to let him get reelected. This way, he will be reduced to “lame duck” status because of the two term limit, and then you will never have to worry about him being president again.

The more the Democrats and PMC try to pile on Trump and amp up the Trump-Derangement Syndrome, the more popular they make Trump as it only makes him look like more of a martyr in the eyes of his supporters and the public at large. Even his mugshots have given him free publicity.

Plus, the elephant in the room is that many of Trump’s policies do not differ that significantly from Biden’s such as immigration, the border wall, Medicare privatization, etc. and perhaps he might have enough foresight to get us off of the nuclear war escalation ramp with Russia over Ukraine.

Do not get me wrong, Trump is indeed a crook, but he is no better or worse of one than anybody else in the DC bubble. If we could survive two terms of George W. Bush which I still contend was the worst president we have ever had, we can sustain another Trump term. I am voting third party instead of Trump or Biden, but I think that a second Trump term would actually be slightly less bad than that of Biden.

So, what you actually want is someone pro-Russia in the White House.

Edit: I never know what thread I'm on. 🙄

I don't see any good in either one of them winning the election.

I wish we had leaders we could aspire to be like, that they would be more-or-less complete people with dignity, compassion and strength. Nothing is manufactured. Somebody who when students are first learning about them in grade school, the kids are encouraged to be proud not confused.

Nobody's perfect - though morals are another issue. Not necessarily what you believe, but what you are.
I think we've seen far too much to not know.

There are still ongoing news stories & podcasts mentioning this incident, with speculation that it was Morrissey who gave them permission, which I highly doubt. I wish he would say something, has he changed his mind about trump? It's frustrating how he complains about being erased from the Smiths and when they are making international news, he says nothing.
I highly doubt anyone gave permission in this case, just like other instances, the artist is not asked

I don't know if he has, but I love the fact that if he hasn't declared it, that it means he definitely has. Damned if you do, damed if you don't. I secretly hope he did give permission just to troll a certain crowd.

Meanwhile we don't even know if this is true that the Trump campaign is using The Smiths' music. Anyone got any proof? You'd think someone could provide a clip.

I don't know if he has, but I love the fact that if he hasn't declared it...

Meanwhile we don't even know if this is true that the Trump campaign is using The Smiths' music. Anyone got any proof? You'd think someone could provide a clip.
There's a part of me that dreads that too.

Marred go back to the thread start. I wondered if the clip doing the rounds was doctored, but as far as one can tell the acoustics make it seem genuine. It's the delay for this coming out that compounds things. Bizarrely YMCA used to be the accompanying track for these sort of clips.

I found his original rise to power bewildering and after the assault on Capitol Hill really thought that was it - the whole saga coming to it's inevitable end. Wrong.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom