The Smiths: The dirtiest break-up in rock history?

Re: errrrrrr

Sorry but the first song ive ever heard by Morrissey was "The Last of the Famous International Playboys",i was a kid,but totally loved it.And it was Morrissey solo work,so i dont care about The Smiths so much,they only helped Morrissey to show his talent.It was all about Morrissey anyway,about his talent,his voice,and his charisma.Johhny Marr doesnt count.So i dont feel sorry that the band split coz i prefer Morrissey solo work anyway.

You might not care about The Smiths but we do!! Listen to Johnny Marr's freakin jangly guitar riffs, they're awesome! This Charming Man, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Queen Is Dead....the list of amazing Smiths songs are endless! If Morrissey ended up with a really rubbish guitarest, he wouldn't be a half popular as is he now and half the people on this site wouldn't exist either.

On another note: Does Morrissey like Rourke? If there ever was a Smiths reunion (which probably won't happen) I could see Rourke joining for his basslines, take Barbarism Begins At Home for example!

Last edited by a moderator:
...George overdosing in a cheap Hollywood motel, or Ringo being forced into making bad comedies about sparring tribes of kooky cavemen.

At least Ringo got Barbara Bach out of the deal. :) Talk about falling ass-backwards into an opportunity.

The Beatles break-up was acromonious, however the four individuals seem to get along with each other on a one-on-one level; George worked with Ringo and John on their solo projects; John wrote songs for Ringo, and so forth.

One common demoninator that the Beatles and the Smiths shared was bad and/or lack of management. It's very difficult for an artist to expect to manage himself and work on his creative projects. Some can, but most can't or can't be bothered.

You prefer Morrissey solo - fair enough. But why try to degrade Johnny Marr? He was absolutely essential to The Smiths and they could never have been the same without him - Morrissey has acknowledged as much countless times. Morrissey's words are useless without competent, imaginative musicians to give them a backdrop. Or would you be fine just listening to him sing over bongos?
Well im not trying to degrade Johnny Marr,i think that he is a great guitarist,but lets be honest he didnt write "The smoke on the water"riff,and his music would be meaningless without Morrisseys's lyrics and Morrissey's beautiful voice.Music is just a background,for me in the music voice is the most important.I dont like instrumental music,e.g.i hate "Oscillate Wildly"

Well im not trying to degrade Johnny Marr,i think that he is a great guitarist,but lets be honest he didnt write "The smoke on the water"riff,and his music would be meaningless without Morrisseys's lyrics and Morrissey's beautiful voice.Music is just a background,for me in the music voice is the most important.I dont like instrumental music,e.g.i hate "Oscillate Wildly"

Yeah but he wrote the riffs to This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now, There Is A Light etc! Imagine How Soon Is Now never being played at a Morrissey gig now! Listen to The Smiths instrumental The Draize Train, or have you never heard of the live album Rank? If you hate that song, then I give up because The Smiths stuff is beyond everything I know.

It's in "The Severed Alliance", and on Wikipedia if you can't be bothered with that. When Johnny went to LA, Morrissey assumed he was coming back
Hmm..Ive read something quite different in this interview(NME 13feb'88):"Morrissey hasn't seen or heard from Johnny Marr since May 19 last year. He hasn't heard from Mike Joyce or Andy Rourke since July. No, not even Christmas cards."
"Morrissey didn't know about The Smiths' official demise "until I read in the NME". "Looks like Johnny Marr behaved very nice indeed.

Yeah but he wrote the riffs to This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now, There Is A Light etc!
Well maybe,but imagine those songs without Morrissey's lyrics and what then...?Melody becomes meaningless,its lyrics that make those songs.

Last edited:

Johnny and Morrissey needed each other in the begining. Without Johnny knocking on Morrissey's door, I doubt either one of them would be as accomplished as they both are.

Well maybe,but imagine those songs without Morrissey's lyrics and what then...?Melody becomes meaningless,its lyrics that make those songs.

I think this is such bullshit. Marr was exhausted. It wasn't exactly any fault of his own.
???What?He left but it wasnt his fault yeah right...This shows how manipulative person he is to make poeple believe in it.He left,and told Joyce and his dear friend Andy to leave too.What a backstabbing behaviour.

Johnny and Morrissey needed each other in the begining. Without Johnny knocking on Morrissey's door, I doubt either one of them would be as accomplished as they both are.
Well its true.But you dont leave without a word after all those years together.Its very disrespectful.

Last edited:

Nope I think Johnny Marr still could have made it, he's ranked one of the best guitarest in the world, of cause he would have made. I like Oscillate Wildly, so does Morrissey!
Another thing aswell, he never asked Rourke and Joyce to leave! There's no proof he did!

You might not care about The Smiths but we do!! Listen to Johnny Marr's freakin jangly guitar riffs, they're awesome! This Charming Man, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Queen Is Dead....the list of amazing Smiths songs are endless! If Morrissey ended up with a really rubbish guitarest, he wouldn't be a half popular as is he now and half the people on this site wouldn't exist either.
Well i like The Smiths but i prefer Morrissey solo work.And of course i love some of The Smiths songs and "Ask" is my favourite song,but its the lyrics that make me smile while listening to this song,not the melody.

What?
He left but it wasnt his fault yeah right.
This shows how manipulative person he is to make poeple believe in it.
He left, and told Joyce and his dear friend Andy to leave too. What a backstabbing behaviour.

I repeat, it's also Morrissey's fault because he was unable to trust others.
Johnny was exhausted by dealng with things Morrissey managed to force him to do.
Mike Joyce actually asked Morrissey if he could help M & M for managerial duties, but Morrissey didn't want to pay him, turned it down.

Last edited:

On another note: Does Morrissey like Rourke? If there ever was a Smiths reunion (which probably won't happen) I could see Rourke joining for his basslines, take Barbarism Begins At Home for example!
Well i dont know,i think that he is angry about this court case although Andy Rourke behaved better than Joyce and wasnt so greedy.Well i dont know what Morrissey thinks...

Last edited:

Nope I think Johnny Marr still could have made it, he's ranked one of the best guitarest in the world, of cause he would have made. I like Oscillate Wildly, so does Morrissey!
Another thing aswell, he never asked Rourke and Joyce to leave! There's no proof he did!
Well he is great guitarist.Well Andy Rourke was his longtime friend so im sure that he did,do you think that they didnt talk to each other,and Rourke and Joyce spontaneously left 1month later-yeah right.

Hmm I think The Smiths lyrics are a lot strong than his solo work, Suffer Little Children, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Stretch Out And Wait, Meat Is Murder are a few to start off.
I don't think Morrissey's that angry at Rourke, I actually do feel sorry for Rourke.
He even has to join tribute Smiths bands to make some money, poor guy :(

Edit: Thank you Kewpie, I didn't know about that with Mike Joyce actually

Last edited by a moderator:
I repeat, it's also Morrissey's fault because he was unable to trust others.
Johnny was exhausted by dealng with things Morrissey managed to force him to do.
Well maybe but leaving without a word isnt the way to do it.He should do it in some other way,leave for some time,and tell Morrissey about it.Take a break and then come back but he didnt,instead he told Rourke and Joyce to leave too.So its his fault.

Well he is great guitarist.Well Andy Rourke was his longtime friend so im sure that he did,do you think that they didnt talk to each other,and Rourke and Joyce spontaneously left 1month later-yeah right.

No no no, they were with Morrissey in the 1988 Wolverhampton gig along with Craig Gannon (if you know who he is) and they all actually feature on a couple of Morrissey solo videos too! They left because of the court proceedings and that's how the whole break up happened! Rourke was the last to leave as he partly wrote the bassline to "Girl Least Likely to"

Back
Top Bottom