How, when, and where, did you lose your Moz virginity?

Re: 1999 in the HMV sale

After wearing out Radiohead's 'Ok Computer' and Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' I went scouting for some new albums and saw a cd of this band called The Smiths that Q Magazine (which was steadily getting shitter at this point) name dropped every once in a while. The album was Hatful Of Hollow, and I chose that one above all the others because I was drawn to the picture of the man on the front.
I went back to my bedroom and played 'How Soon Is Now?' and 'William It Was Really Nothing' because of the titles, and thought they were the best things I'd ever heard in my life.
Then I looked at the date on the album and my heart sank. I was 1 when they recorded it; The Smiths were no more and I'd never get to hear this singer live.
For some reason it took me another three years to realise that Morrissey had a solo career and remember being distinctly underwhelmed, until I met a guy who practically frog marched me into the record store to buy Vauxhall & I.
Viva Morrissey, a new fan was born.

John Peel Show 1983

My first Moz experience was in bed listening to John Peel Show in 1983..i couldn't believe what i was hearing...Reel Around The Fountain/Old House etc....
AND 23 years later still excited by the prospect of seeing Morrisey next week in Stirling!!!
XXX

Ferris Bueller's day off!

They play an instrumental version of "Please Please.." during the part when they are in the art museum. I heard this when I was 8 years old and fell in love with it, but I never knew it was a Smiths song

10 years later my boyfriend played "Please Please..." by the Smiths and I immediately recognized it and fell madly in love with Morrissey's voice.

The rest is history.

November Spawned a Monster video...

I was like six years old when I first saw this video and was completely enthralled by the bandaid on his nipple. My older sister was into Morrissey at the time.

Sing Your Life KROQ the part with the girl screaming "Oh my God!" - 1997 - In my dorm room on the message machine...my grilfriend, now wife, left it as part of a message for me. There was also the "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe" part from Rubber Ring. Queerest message ever, I thought there was an emergency or something.

zom

After Listening to "Panic" when I was a freshman in college (2002)

I had a classmate in an art class who was a hardcore Smiths/Moz fan.

codreanu i thought you lost your virginity to permabrained brenda?!

1990/1991 a penpal at the time suggested i listen to viva hate.as i was in the army at the time & confined to barracks during training,i got the cassette from the library.i listened to it for ages after.a few years on i was posted to kent & met a lad from manchester & he sold me some vinyl & i've built up a nice little collection of bits n bob's from there.

> i wish i was around in the 80's!

> i always feel so young in this forum - 18 years old! im happy though,
> having the privilege being alive when the man is still active!

Haha, I see what you mean, I'm only 16 years old.. and I'm a fan for about 3 years now..

firt heard him on Viva Hate elpee, still my fafourite album,it was in my bedroom...

Dancing in an Indie club

> The 1987(?) MTV premiere of "Stop Me if you Think you've Heard this
> One Before"... in, erm, my Father's bedroom.

I remember dancing in a club to an amazing new track...had to ask the DJ what it was (naff i know)..it was Jeane...became a fan at that minute...all of twenty something years, 8 Smiths gigs, 61 Morrissey gigs, and a permanent massive Barclaycard debt later...

Re: How, when, and where, did you lose your Moz virginity? i'm still waiting for it to happen!

*eyebrow wiggle*

> "What Difference Does It Make?" on Top of the Pops in January
> 1984.

1999 when I downloaded the more you ignore me the closer i get

Re: Jonathan Ross show, 2004

This charming man 83 - Janice Long or someone like that doing the evening Radio 1 show...

Re: Ferris Bueller's day off!

i downloaded hatful of hollow after seeing it on some magazine list about 4 years ago then started buying a bunch of moz/smiths and here i am

1983 - Reel Around The Fountain

I was a student in Aberystwyth, and my downstairs flatmate had a tape with RATF from Peely's show. It was love there and then!

Back
Top Bottom