How, when, and where, did you lose your Moz virginity?

reading the lyrics to...

November, Playboys etc, in the once hilarious Smash Hits at the age of 10 - and realising there was something a bit more interesting in the world.

2004 at my Dad's house, it was "The Very Best Of The Smiths." I then bought my first Smiths CD about three day's later - TQID.

Smiths = John Peel playing How Soon Is Now in about 1989/90. Went out and bought Hatful Of Hollow and listened to it on my Walkman while doing my paper round!

Moz = Apart from a one night stand on Weston Super Mare beach in 1988 (Everyday is Like Sunday) really took off when I bought Bona Drag. Oct 1990ish. In Woolworths, Albany Rd!

The rest they say is history..... I could be wealthier financially, but I'm richer as a person. I guess!?!?!

Roll on next Saturday....

Stealing Rank from my brother's CD collection and listening to it at about 6am one summer. I don't think I listened to Morrissey or The Smiths again for another year or so, but that was my first encounter.

> The 1987(?) MTV premiere of "Stop Me if you Think you've Heard this
> One Before"... in, erm, my Father's bedroom.
Gosh, this was such a popular one just had to say Morrissey must feel
pretty good at his age to know people still think he's hot! Lucky him.

1989 after a funeral, I to a friends home and how was playing How Soon Is Now. I loved him ever since.

about 4 years ago, while i was in florida - i was really into The Cure, and hate The Smiths/Morrissey due to the rivalry thing, i bought a copy of Morrissey's greatest hits, i was amazed, stopped liking the cure ever since.

and The Smiths/Morrissey are local, you gotta support your own, not some crazy haired southern loon who's music isn't that innovative

1992, the week Your Arsenal came out.

I was 16 years old and had just passed my exams; I chose this as a present from my parents when they enquired as to what I'd like as a reward. I was blown away. Then saw him at The Glasgow Barrowlands in December 1992; what a show that was.

I was actually forced to list'n to Hatful Of Hollow by an older cousin of mine.
He had already made me love The Cure, and said I couldn't call myself a music fan before I owned an album by The Smiths. I remember putting it on, becoming mesmerized by William and This Charming Man.
I didn't really listen to it again before a year after, when I stumbled upon him in the media every now and then. So it wasn't really love at first listen for me, as the sunshine story goes...

I was literally brought up on Moz and The Smiths from the moment I was born (in 1985) my Dad was and still is a huge fan but I was singing Smiths songs amoungst my first words apparently .. 20 horrible years later and I am still singing!

first time I saw him, last time he was in NY

I hope Morrissey comes back to NY, I think we inspire him there. Even if it is in a bad way. We have some new inspiring tricks up our sleeves, promise! Please don't abandon NY on your tour!! I want to him a second time, you know how your first time is...

I remember being very young and me and my older brothers laughing at Morrissey on TOTP, I must have been around 5... then when my brothers hit their teens they both developed BIG Morrissey obsessions. I was still non-plussed. My brother used to sing 'You're the one for me, fatty' quite a lot.
Then when i went to university and was feeling low (dial a cliche!), I really 'discovered' Morrissey for myself, I bought the 'Best of...' and it went from there. Those were exciting times buying one Cd after another, knowing how much stuff was out there...
For the years between Maladjusted and Quarry, my best friend and I believed we'd never see another Morrissey album, or a concert.
So when he came back it was amazing. Now I'm bordering on boring in my obsession. :D

Jonathon Ross Show.

I watched the show by chance, didn't know a thing about this 'Morrissey', I was intrigued by the fuss and palaver leading up to the show and the crowd reactions everytime his name was mentioned. I was amazed by him, and soon after the interview I realised what all the 'fuss' was about..I was hooked, I had to get all the albums and absorb myself in his music. I'm glad I stumbled across the show, because things haven't been the same since. :)

Smiths first played Milwaukee, Wisconsin during the Queen is Dead tour. I walked up to the box office 4 hours after they went on sale and got 3rd row center. What the hell, they were $15 a piece. While it was not a top notch concert by any means (venue was not sold out, crowd sat through most of the show, and Morrissey really did not try to pull the crowd into the show other than asking if we had "The Milwaukee Flu" and "Do You Have Anything To Say?".) The best moment for me was the opening of "How Soon Is Now" with the light show. Killer!! Hooked for life. The next day we saw Morrissey at a local breakfast spot and were too afarid to approach him. RATS!!!!

5 years ago. He came to my house and gave me a pounding. Hurt like hell. jk:)

Forever

I bought Hand in Glove on it's release. And I've been here ever since. Quite obsessed. Very lucky.

Well anyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that I am a HUGE fan of the Smiths and lead singer Morrissey's solo work as well...

But the funny things is: I didn't like them at all when I first heard them in the early 80's. My younger brother Jon used to play them and I thought they sounded so depressing and lead singer Morrissey's voice sounded so gay that I teased him endlessly for listening to it.

My opinion of the music changed in December '89 when I was on a road trip from Seattle to San Diego with my friend Nick Jenkins to visit our high-school buddy Gary Smith. (how ODD is that? Strange but true: A Smith eventually got me hooked on the Smiths) Under the seat was an old Smiths tape, "Meat Is Murder", and they insisted on listening to it. I refused. But they put it in anyway and I suffered through a few songs until "How Soon Is Now?" came on. It was all over for me after that. That was the most incredible opening to a song that I had ever heard in my entire life and it gave me the biggest rush I had ever gotten from a song. Amazing. We played it endlessly. The next day I got some tragic news over the phone from home and that song really got me through it. I re-wound that f*cking song a THOUSAND times and basically played it non-stop during the 1,100 mile, 20-hour drive back to Seattle just in time to attend the funeral. So then I appreciated the rest of the songs they had and quickly bought up all of the CD's I could. The Smiths had long split up (in 1987) and Morrissey was now solo. So I eventually got all his solo stuff as well...

more here: http://jaytando.tripod.com/meeting-morrissey/

Watching Sandie Shaw on TOTP in early 1984, singing her version of Hand in Glove with the boys. She was rolling around on the stage like a nutter, it was all very dreadful, and I can remember thinking to myself "Where oh where is the other guy?!" "The other guy" being Mozzer, of course. (He was probably sitting at home with a cup of tea, watching TOTP along with the rest of us and laughing his head off at Sandie Shaw.) I didn't get round to buying any Smiths records until late '84 when I picked up Hatful of Hollow on a whim. And that, as they say, was that. :D

Back
Top Bottom