When did you become a Smiths/Morrissey fan?

When did you become a Smiths/Morrissey fan?

• 1983 The Smiths

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • 1984 Hatful of Hollow

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • 1985 Meat Is Murder

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • 1986 The Queen Is Dead

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • 1987 Strangeways

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 1988/9 Viva Hate

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • 1990/1 Bona Drag

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 1992/3 Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 1994/5 Vauxhall & I/Southpaw

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 1996/7 Malajusted

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 1998/9

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2000/1

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 2002/3

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • 2004/5 You Are The Quarry

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • 2006 Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
27th December 2004. Yes it was that precise.

I wish I had discovered him sooner but I suppose it could be worse, I might not have discovered him yet.

I had Panic, Shoplifters and Sheila Take A Bow singles but didn't get my 1st album until '89, I got The World Won't Listen.

1989 - heard Hatfull of Hollow and The Queen is dead

Quickly bought The world won't listen and Viva hate by curiositye, two weeks later, had all The Smiths albums and started buying Morrissey's singles

My cousin played me 'The Queen is Dead' when that was the current album and I couldn't quite get into it - I liked the music but Morrissey's voice was too weird compared to the other bog-standard rock/pop shite I was listening to as a child. What finally made me get The Smiths (and relegated every other band to useless pap) was hearing 'Panic' on the radio, especially the "Hang the blessed DJ, becuase the music they constantly play says nothing to me about my life" line.

The current single was Ouija Board, Ouija Board.. which got massive airplay in Providence on WBRU (Brown University's Radio Station). The really odd thing about that time (89-90) was they even played b-sides in the rotation, specifically "Such A Little Thing..." and "Girl Least Likely To"

1989, it was The Smiths I first got into, then Morrisseys solo work soon after. Been a fan ever since.

In 1984: Hatful of Hollow was playing on my brother's stereo down in the basement. All I needed to hear was "This Charming Man" and I was hooked.

Tbevie said:
27th December 2004. Yes it was that precise.

I wish I had discovered him sooner but I suppose it could be worse, I might not have discovered him yet.

aww thats my birthday! and your right its fantastic whenever you discover him :) for me it was about 15 years ago when i was 14 my brother was playing hatfull of hollow and it was what difference does it make, i was hooked. However I did not bother for a few years after that. I guess till my early 20s then it was true love forever.

I bought Cigarettes and Alcohol, a double compilation cd in 2001, and really loved the song Panic, by a band I'd never heard of called the Smiths. I then bought their greatest hits and loved that too and have been expanding my collection ever since with Smiths and Morrissey albums and have seen Morrissey twice. I love it all, saw him in Sheffield this tour and he was amazing, makes you love him even more!
Shows you how compilation cds are a good marketing tool coz I think they introduce people to bands they wouldnt otherwise never have heard. I owe a lot to Cigarettes and Alcohol!

spring 1992 when i was still in school and i've heard 'We hate it when our friends become successful' on the radio
since then i still ill )))

hool' said:
spring 1992 when i was still in school and i've heard 'We hate it when our friends become successful' on the radio
since then i still ill )))

Me too! Ended up getting Your Arsenal the day it came out; the same week a friend made me a Smiths compilation tape, and that was that.

For me it was weird, but thank god it happened..... I'm 25 and back in the late 90's I used to hang out with different kinds of people [from gays to skinheads] then there were these super-snobbish dudes who used to play Morrssey/Smiths all the time and I totally hated them....therefore the music too....everything they did I just couldn't tolerate! I wanna vomit just thinking about them!! anyway, it wasn't till a couple years ago that I discovered my love for Moz, it happened while watching the Suede Head vid on VH1 Classic....I just loved it immediatly.....went out and bought the Viva Hate record and loved it, then Quary ....then from there I just worked my way all the way back to the Smiths.

i got into the smiths when i first met my g/f who was a big smiths fan, she lent me hatful of hollow and that was it, been a fan ever since, the man is a genius.

Back
Top Bottom