Alain Whyte and band mini Ireland tour (August 21, 2023)

The BIG news is here and we're so excited to finally share it with you. We will be playing some very select live shows later this year in the following cities/venues:

29 November - Belfast, Northern Ireland (Ulster Sports Club)
1 December - Cork, Ireland (The Pavilion)
2 December - Dublin, Ireland (Whelans)

The gigs will feature my band of all-stars most of you already know and love:

Craig Gannon - guitars
Gary Day - bass
Spencer Cobrin - drums
Gustavo Manzur, Jr. - keyboards

We'll be playing sets filled will songs we've all been involved in (either written, co-written and/or played on) as well as a surprise or two each night which you won't want to miss.

Tickets go on sale this Friday (25 August at 10am GMT) via AlainWhyteMusic.com/tour & Eventbrite.ie

More info will follow, so please stay tuned. We really can't wait to play for you all!

at least they wont be playing Throwing My Arms Around Paris or Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings.

Sure Enough The Telephone Rings is a composition from Gustavo

Perfect choice!

5040260_a2c426a753_w.jpg

Question: What do you think Moz’s reaction was when he heard about this band and now this tour announcement

And

What did he say to Sam and Jesse?

One thing is certain. None of that band will ever play a gig with Morrissey again.
No too sure about "certain". Haven't all the band members actually left and come back to play with Moz later on at some point? (Other than Gustavo, who really just left anyway)

I asked him on Instagram if Gary will be playing his double bass, and he said yes. Here's to hoping we get to hear a good few rockabilly songs - those were the songs that really got me into rockabilly.

Of course I can only speculate, but perhaps Gustavo was taking a stiff upper lip approach and tolerating the guy for years. Having someone else like Alain around who was not accepting the disrespect may have been the catalyst he needed to decide enough was enough.

You have to wonder how the dynamics and esprit d'corps changed once Matt and, more critically, Boz left the touring band. Boz has joie de vivre to spare - remove that element and I'm sure backstage dynamics shift.
I agree with that entirely. Whether Moz or management, or both, they only have themselves to blame for the implosion and the departure of two really skilled co-writers in Alain and – still most surprisingly of all-Gustavo.

The other thing that makes the departure of the latter so surprising to me is the area of I think world peace touring in which Morrissey voluntarily surrendered vocals on "Speedway" for the Spanish verses sung by Gustavo. I wasn't really all that wild about the choice, but it was a bold choice and I think it spoke to a real kinship and closeness between the two. For the vocalist who is not himself and an instrumentalist to give up singing space to someone else seemed earthshaking to me

It's so strange to think how many band configurations is been through since 2012 or 2016. That music video of "Back on the Chain Gang" his usage of Mendel Lopez's son on the album cover (and promotional materials!!) For low in high school only for all those people besides Jesse to leave is staggering to me, or at least revelatory.

I think you're right that Matt Walker's departure was another kind of bellwether moment

Last edited:
I agree with that entirely. Whether Moz or management, or both, they only have themselves to blame for the implosion and the departure of two really skilled co-writers in Alain and – still most surprisingly of all-Gustavo.

The other thing that makes the departure of the latter so surprising to me is the area of I think world peace touring in which Morrissey voluntarily surrendered vocals on "Speedway" for the Spanish verses sung by Gustavo. I wasn't really all that wild about the choice, but it was a bold choice and I think it spoke to a real kinship and closeness between the two. For the vocalist who is not himself and an instrumentalist to give up singing space to someone else seemed earthshaking to me

It's so strange to think how many band configurations is been through since 2012 or 2016. That music video of "Back on the Chain Gang" his usage of Mendel Lopez's son on the album cover (and promotional materials!!) For low in high school only for all those people besides Jesse to leave is staggering to me, or at least revelatory.

I think you're right that Matt Walker's departure was another kind of bellwether moment
And don't forget the time Morrissey came out on stage to tell the audience that tonights show will not go ahead because Gustavo was very ill and that we are a family, blah, blah, blah... Seems like they were quite tight.

And don't forget the time Morrissey came out on stage to tell the audience that tonights show will not go ahead because Gustavo was very ill and that we are a family, blah, blah, blah... Seems like they were quite tight.
That's an extremely good call. I'd forgotten all about that

Which is more than he did for the recent Nottingham cancellation. Do you think he’s actually going to make it to the scheduled gigs in Awestraaaaahya?

Last edited:
We are Sans Morrissey.
That is sincerely a brilliant, excellent name. I'm really very curious, though I'm a fair bit skeptical about the new original tunes that this line up might conjure.

You know would be really funny and deliciously ironic? If Alain, Gustavo and company pulled the reverse "Irish blood English heart" and put original songs with different lyrics using the same instrumental melodies and stuff as might presumably be present on some of the unreleased stuff from Without music, The World Dies

That's an extremely good call. I'd forgotten all about that
And the announcement came across as very sincere and went down very well considering Morrissey's curse of cancellations. I'd say if Moz and Gus weren't so tight he'd have had a minion take the stage and take the hit as messenger.

The BIG news is here and we're so excited to finally share it with you. We will be playing some very select live shows later this year in the following cities/venues:

29 November - Belfast, Northern Ireland (Ulster Sports Club)
1 December - Cork, Ireland (The Pavilion)
2 December - Dublin, Ireland (Whelans)

The gigs will feature my band of all-stars most of you already know and love:

Craig Gannon - guitars
Gary Day - bass
Spencer Cobrin - drums
Gustavo Manzur, Jr. - keyboards

We'll be playing sets filled will songs we've all been involved in (either written, co-written and/or played on) as well as a surprise or two each night which you won't want to miss.

Tickets go on sale this Friday (25 August at 10am GMT) via AlainWhyteMusic.com/tour & Eventbrite.ie

More info will follow, so please stay tuned. We really can't wait to play for you all!

Could take or leave Gustavo but on the whole, this is the Morrissey ethos that we all loved. This is what a cool band looks and sounds like. Love it.

Awesome. This will be way more interesting than a whole tour of the little john fart marr

Back
Top Bottom